- We promote Christian Unity, ecumenical dialogue,
and prayers for the whole of Christ's church
- We encourage local cooperation and closer ties
- We provide leadership in spreading Christian
values throughout society
- We develop basic Christian understandings that
lead to growth in spirituality and social justice
- We distribute the Holy Bible to Vermont ministries
We are eight Christian denominations working together
through a Board of Trustees and committees. Our support comes from
these denominations, and we receive some gifts from individuals and congregations. The primary leader of each denomination
plays an active role in the life of the Council. We are committed
to "dialogue, common prayer, and practical collaboration
- Publish our monthly email newsletter, Faith Common
- Conduct meetings on Peace, Justice and the Integrity
of Creation. Work with other statewide
groups on social concerns. Raise questions for our members
to consider, and sometime propose resolutions to the Board of
- Conduct meetings on Faith and Order issues,
such as Baptism, Eucharist, and Ministry. Consider
the theological underpinnings of our approach to societal issues.
- Conduct meetings on Prayer and Worship. Encourage
and provide resources for ecumenical worship throughout Vermont.
- Conduct semi-annual Council meetings that bring
together members of the Board of Trustees and the committees.
- Conduct meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Participate in regional and national ecumenical
- Distribute Bibles to Vermont ministries such
as prison and hospital ministries.
The Lund Principle
"Should not our churches
in all matters except those in which deep differences of conviction
compel them to act separately?" --
Third World Conference on Faith and Order, Lund, Sweden, 1952.
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you
were called to the one hope that belongs to your calling, one Lord,
one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above
all and through all and in all.
Ephesians 4: 4-6
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.
We have a modest library of ecumenical literature
and a selection of Bibles. We maintain an up-to-date mailing list
that includes Vermont churches of our member denominations.
It also lists clergy and congregations of other denominations as
well as individuals who are involved with the Vermont Ecumenical
Council & Bible
Officers and Staff
President: Roy V. Hill II
Vice President: Rev. David Wiley
Treasurer: Mrs. Peg Hamlin
Administratort: Ms. Betsy Hardy (click on name to email directly to office)